Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5 - Unique

I saw the prompt for this one before heading to bed last night and fell asleep with thoughts of it running through my mind. I read the prompt about the unique sodas - and thought it sounded like a fun place to visit and I went through my daily schedule and wondered what I would find unique about it.

It brought to mind the WDYS (What Do You See?) pictures that I love to take. These are pictures of natural objects that at least to MY knowledge have had no direct human hand touch. So, due to erosion, winds, rain, animals, and other natural occurring phenomena What Do You See. I have pictures of rocks that look like chairs, cave stalagmites (or was it a tite?) that looks like the head of a dragon, a tree stump that bears an eerie resemblance of an angel with wings spread (or as one person I asked WDYS to, an owl.)

It was the thought of remembering my angel tree stump that my mind wandered down how I saw an angel and somebody else saw an owl (which I could see as well but first is always the angel) and what that says about a person. So, then I started thinking about religion and recalled the many conversation I've had with some of my closest friends and family about what we believe and why. As I recalled these many conversations, I also recalled all the books I have on religions, spirits, life beyond death, fortune telling, birth charts, and reading palms.

This last book led me down a path of thought about the fact that your palm and the lines upon it are every changing and your hands are different every day because of what you do with them. They are your tools and each persons hand is a unique feature, and they each is different: left to right, person to person. As I let sleep take me over, I knew at some point in the day I would take a picture of my hand - but which one?

I didn't think about the photo again until I went to lunch. Sitting in line at a fast food restaurant I couldn't wait anymore. I wanted this photo to be different too, as different as my left hand. So, I decided to use one of my phone photo features and made it four shots in one. I took a shot of the palm - the ever changing lines, a picture of my wedding ring (which to my knowledge is as unique as it comes since one stone is my husbands birth stone and one is mine and I always wear my husbands stone closest to me), a picture of a ring I found a long time ago and believe belongs to my younger sister - it says LOVE and has a small chip (real or fake I don't know or care) in the O which is a heart, and then a picture of the back of my hand.

I took the shots several times until I had one that I loved, I felt it represented me and it made me think about how unique I was as an individual and how each of us is different even if those differences are as small as the lines on our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment